After years of consultation, please find below the confirmation of the name change from Miranda to PUKOROKORO / MIRANDA.
An important step in using Ngaati Paoa's ancestral names for our important areas along our Wharekawa Coastline.
May I also validate Morehu Wilson for driving this kaupapa and the support of the wider Hauraki and Taamaki Collectives.
Hauauru Eugene Rawiri (Hau)
The New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (the Board) met on 29 April 2015 and rejected all objecting submissions to:
· Altering Pūkorokoro / Miranda
· Discontinuing Miranda Hot Springs
· Assigning Pūkorokoro Hot Springs
and under Sections (19) and (20) of the NZGB Act 2008 requested the Minister for Land Information to confirm, modify, or reject the Board’s decisions, and make the Final Decision on the proposals.
On 31 July 2015 the Minister for Land Information made her final decisions, and wrote to the Board:
- Confirming the alteration of Miranda to Pūkorokoro / Miranda
- Modifying discontinuing the name Miranda Hot Springs, assigning the name Pūkorokoro / Miranda Hot Springs for the locality
- Modifying assigning Pūkorokoro Hot Springs to the unnamed natural springs, assigning the name Pūkorokoro / Miranda Hot Springs for the natural springs
These three final decisions were made official by gazette notice on 13 August 2015: https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2015-ln4739
Thank you for providing the NZGB with your views for consideration.
Advisor, New Zealand Geographic Board Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa
Office of the Surveyor-General
E firstname.lastname@example.org | DDI 04 8302519
Level 7, Radio New Zealand House, 155 The Terrace
Wellington 6145, New Zealand
W www.linz.govt.nz | data.linz.govt.nz