as you may be aware on the 19th - 21st Feb we will have the SPLORE event on our front door step at Tapapakanga.
Tipa and i have been working closely with the organisers such as tree planting, and planning meetings. They now have a new community relations person, Sophie who is our direct contact. Tipa will be coordinating Ngati Whanaunga and I will coordinate Ngati Paoa interested whanau.
- Attend if able the meeting being held by the organisers (in the city), i.e. Volunteers briefing. Tipa and i will be there, 9th Feb 2016.
- At 4pm, Sunday 14th there will be a mihi whakatau for the SPLORE kaimahi at 4pm (after Wharekawa Marae meeting)
- Attend and support the põwhiri (Friday 19th, 5.00pm) and practise leading up to it at (venue tbc) on Wed 10th and Wed 17th at 7.30pm.
- Volunteer time on the Friday as 'Iwi Ushers' up at the Tapapakanga entrance from 8am - 2pm (details to follow)
- There will be a parakore / waste free initiative running the whole day Saturday for those that can't do the Friday. We will also have the bins on our camping area so that whanau can be more informed about the kaupapa with more opportunities in future/marae support etc.
- Over the weekend there will be an opportunity to volunteer with Arnold Gurau across the Park for those others
At the kapa haka practices (for both Paoa and Whanaunga) we will talk in more detail about the volunteer aspects etc.
Given there are limited tickets and camping spaces there may be restrictions on those camping on the hill due to numbers. So essentially if whanau haven't received an Iwi allocated ticket and want to camp on the pā then they need to come talk to us. Please DO NOT allow others to come camp without talking to Tipa and I.
In regards to the powhiri at 5pm on the 19th, Kaumatua will be able to access through the rear park entrance and those only attending to support the põwhiri will not be required to wear wristbands.
I have opted to have this panui issued through our admin for Ngati Paoa Iwi Trust as it will therefore will necessitate that whanau are registered with the Iwi Trust. We need to take the opportunity to get more of our people on the register.
Tipa will manage the Ngati Whanaunga issue of tickets. Any drama and you may be asked to leave.
Whanau will get access tickets for the full weekend, camping spot (no showers), lanyard IWI ID, fluoro vest when volunteering (has KAITIAKI on the back). All cars will be parked in the carpark before the creek following setup and powhiri completion..
First in will not necessarily be first served unless of course you can commit to the latter kaitiaki roles. Please consider the kaitiaki roles and we will discuss these at the kapahaka practice. Email us if you are interested.
Noho ora mai,
"Toitu a Papatuanuku"