UPDATE: All places for the touch rugby have now been filled. We now have EIGHT teams entered so are at our maximum.
Not long to go until the inaugural Wharekawa Marae Rā Hakinakina – Wharekawa Marae Sports and Hauora day on Saturday 11th March. We’ve planned it to be a fun day for everyone to:
• Encourage and enable whanaungatanga
• Enjoy positive, fun activities for all the whānau
• Promote healthy lifestyles and healthy lifestyle choices for whānau
• Promote our reo and tikanga
Come along, catch up with whānau and friends, participate in the activities on offer and support our kaupapa. We’ll have a range of activities for all to enjoy including:
• cooking demonstration by celebrity chef Michael Van De Elzen (from TV’s Foodtruck programme)
• hauora booths provided by a range of Māori health providers
• a mobile stardome for those who wish to learn about tirotiro whetu and our connected world (te rangi, te whenua, te moana). We’re really lucky to have Rereata Makiha confirm his availability for the day to provide some information and kōrero around this kaupapa.
Please note the touch and petanque will be held at Kaiaua Primary School following the pōwhiri at the marae. The touch is limited to 8 teams and will be social mixed grade (3 females on the field at all times). Teams will be guaranteed a minimum of three games on the day. All 8 teams are now confirmed for the day.
Below is our run sheet for the day, confirming times for the various activities:
9:00 am – 9:20 am Pōwhiri - Wharekawa Marae
9: 30 am – 12:30/12:45 pm Sports commence
- Petanque - Kaiaua Primary School
10:00 am Hauora booths (Māori health providers) - Wharekawa Marae
10:00 am Stardome (Rereata Makiha) - Wharekawa Marae
10:30 am Cooking demonstration (Michael Van De Elzen) - Wharekawa Marae
1:30 pm Kai - Wharekawa Marae
3:00 pm Karakia whakamutunga - Wharekawa Marae
We’re excited about our kaupapa and would love to see heaps of whānau come along and enjoy the day.
If you want to help out on the day or have any other queries please contact either Morehu Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org and 027 4868241) or David Rameka (email@example.com and 021 2428481).